    SubjectRe: How git affects kernel.org performance
    Krzysztof Halasa <khc@pm.waw.pl> wrote:
    > Hmm... Perhaps it should be possible to push git updates as a pack
    > file only? I mean, the pack file would stay packed = never individual
    > files and never 256 directories?

    Latest Git does this. If the server is later than 1.4.3.3 then
    the receive-pack process can actually store the pack file rather
    than unpacking it into loose objects. The downside is that it will
    copy any missing base objects onto the end of a thin pack to make
    it not-thin.

    There's actually a limit that controls when to keep the pack and when
    not to (receive.unpackLimit). In 1.4.3.3 this defaulted to 5000
    objects, which meant all but the largest pushes will be exploded
    into loose objects. In 1.5.0-rc0 that limit changed from 5000 to
    100, though Nico did a lot of study and discovered that the optimum
    is likely 3. But that tends to create too many pack files so 100
    was arbitrarily chosen.

    So if the user pushes <100 objects to a 1.5.0-rc0 server we unpack
    to loose; >= 100 we keep the pack file. Perhaps this would help
    kernel.org.

    --
    Shawn.