SubjectRe: how to get serial_no from usb HD disk (HDIO_GET_IDENTITY ioctl, hdparm -i)
Kay Sievers wrote:

>On 1/6/07, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 12:27:34AM +0200, Yakov Lerner wrote:
>>

>>>How can I get serial_no from usb-attached HD drive ?
>>>

>>use the *_id programs that come with udev, they show you how to properly
>>do that.
>>

>Only "advanced" ATA-USB bridges will offer you the serial number the
>adapter reads from the disk on power-up. The usual id-tools will just
>work fine on theses bridges.
>
>There is no way to reach that information with most of the cheap USB
>storage-adapters.
>
>Kay
>-

HI Kay,

I am looking to buy a usb to ata adapter can you name some of the
advanced adapters?

Thanks,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

  Last update: 2007-01-06 18:03    [W:0.033 / U:26.368 seconds]