SubjectRe: [KORG] Re: kernel.org lies about latest -mm kernel
Andrew Morton wrote:

>>> The most fundamental problem seems to be that I can't tell currnt Linux
>>> kernels that the dcache/icache is precious, and that it's way too eager
>>> to dump dcache and icache in favour of data blocks. If I could do that,
>>> this problem would be much, much smaller.
>
> Usually people complain about the exact opposite of this.

Yeah, but we constantly have all-filesystem sweeps, and being able to
retain those in memory would be a key to performance, *especially* from
the upload latency standpoint.

>> Isn't setting the vm.vfs_cache_pressure sysctl below 100 supposed to do
>> this?

Just tweaked it (setting it to 1). There really should be another
sysctl to set the denominator instead of hardcoding it at 100, since the
granularity of this sysctl at the very low end is really much too coarse.

I missed this sysctl since the name isn't really all that obvious.

-hpa

  Last update: 2007-01-06 21:21    [W:0.126 / U:0.780 seconds]