    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.20-rc7
    Date
    01 Şub 2007 Per tarihinde, Linus Torvalds şunları yazmıştı:
    > That _usually_ just means that /sbin/modprobe is corrupt, or compiled with
    > a binfmt that itself needs a module to load.
    >
    > Are you 100% certain that you didn't just happen to put an /sbin/modprobe
    > into your initramfs that happens to be a.out, with a.out being modular? Or
    > something similarly silly?

    Yep, i'm sure config and binary is OK.

    zangetsu ~ # readelf -h /sbin/busybox
    ELF Header:
    Magic: 7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Class: ELF32
    Data: 2's complement, little endian
    Version: 1 (current)
    OS/ABI: UNIX - System V
    ABI Version: 0
    Type: EXEC (Executable file)
    Machine: Intel 80386
    Version: 0x1
    Entry point address: 0x8048130
    Start of program headers: 52 (bytes into file)
    Start of section headers: 1010608 (bytes into file)
    Flags: 0x0
    Size of this header: 52 (bytes)
    Size of program headers: 32 (bytes)
    Number of program headers: 5
    Size of section headers: 40 (bytes)
    Number of section headers: 25
    Section header string table index: 24

    zangetsu ~ # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep BINFMT
    CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
    CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
    CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y

    And as i said before same binaries works within initrd image with same kernel

    > Actually, with that "binfmt-0000", I guess the most likely thing is a
    > corrupt /sbin/modprobe that isn't a valid binfmt format at all (but the
    > kernel won't know the difference between a missing binfmt thing and an
    > invalid one). It has bytes 2/3 being zero, which is neither ELF nor
    > a.out, methinks.
    >
    > BUT! If that's not it, doing a "git bisect" to figure out exactly what
    > triggered it would be a wonderful idea..

    I think i found the cause of the problem, initramfs can't handle hardlinks
    anymore (which works with 2.6.18), copying same /sbin/busybox binary with
    different names into initramfs (which ends ups with 50 MB image) or using
    symbolic ones instead of hards seems works.

    --
    S.Çağlar Onur <caglar@pardus.org.tr>
    http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

    Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!

      Last update: 2007-02-01 04:05    [W:2.859 / U:0.032 seconds]