    SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
    On 1/31/07, Mark Lord <lkml@rtr.ca> wrote:
    > Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:00:15 -0500 Theodore Tso wrote:
    > ..
    > >> More specifically, Dave said that it "seemed rude" to just take the
    > >> driver and send updates, but maybe the best way of dealing with
    > >> out-of-tree drivers like lirc is to treat the out-of-tree drivers as a
    > >> kind of spec release, and just have someone in the community forcibly
    > >> take the code, fix it up, and then get it merged. Maybe it's being
    > >> "rude", but so is not responding to requests to get it merged.
    >
    > I believe a BIG reason why lots of open-source drivers are out-of-tree
    > right now, is because lkml is perceived as being wayyyyyy too fussy
    > and petty about 80-column lines, brackets, etc.. for new code.
    >
    > It's just not worth the effort/abuse for many maintainers to pursue it.

    That seems like the easy part - it seems like anyone bright enough to
    write a working Linux driver would be good enough with their editor or
    perl or bash to knock that out in 10 minutes.

    I would think rules like "no new ioctls" and "no new /proc entries",
    that might seem arbitrary to one who doesn't follow kernel
    development, plus the occasionally insulting code reviewer, would be
    more of an issue.

    Lee

      Last update: 2007-02-01 02:43    [W:0.022 / U:95.720 seconds]