SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 12:12:58PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > There are many out-of-tree drivers (ivtv, lirc, various webcam drivers,
> > enhanced USB keyboard handlers...) with merging not planified or taking
> > ages.
>
> See my above comment about lirc. As for the others, everyone knows
> where we are at, and what the critera is for getting their code into the
> tree, so it's not like we are hiding anywhere :)

The webcam situation has bugged me a few times. I regularly get reports
from our users that they buy some new ov5xx based camera, and the in-tree
driver doesn't work. The out of tree one is a huge delta, and even
begat a separate driver for the later chips iirc.

I contacted the upstream author a number of times to find out why he
stopped sending updates. No replies. Just taking his driver and
sending updates myself seemed kinda rude, but at the same time,
users are losing out.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk