    SubjectRe: question on resume()
    Date
    On Tuesday, 30 January 2007 23:32, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > [Added linux-pm to the Cc list, because I'm going to talk about things that
    > I know only from reading the code.]
    >
    > On Tuesday, 30 January 2007 17:50, Oliver Neukum wrote:
    > > Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2007 17:32 schrieb Rafael J. Wysocki:
    > > > However, you can always inspect the PF_FROZEN flag of the tasks in question
    > > > if that's practicable.
    > >
    > > What would I do with that information? Ignore completion of IO?
    >
    > I probably should say "that depends", but that wouldn't be very helpful.
    >
    > Getting back to your initial question, which is if wake_up() may be called
    > from a driver's .resume() routine, I think the answer is no, it may not,
    > because in that case the "notified" tasks would be removed from the wait
    > queue, but the refrigerator() would (wrongly) restore their states as
    > TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE (or TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE for wake_up_interruptible()).
    >
    > Generally, you are safe if your driver only calls wake_up() from a process
    > context, but not from .resume() or .suspend() routines (or from an
    > unfreezeable kernel thread).

    Ah, sorry, I've just realized I was wrong. Processes in TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE
    cannot be frozen! So, the above only applies to wake_up_interruptible().

    You don't need to call wake_up() from .resume(), because there are no tasks
    to be notified this way and you shouldn't call wake_up_interruptible() from
    there.

    Greetings,
    Rafael

    --
    If you don't have the time to read,
    you don't have the time or the tools to write.