    SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
    On Wed, 2007-01-31 22:56:03 +0100, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:13:12PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Sure, Linux doesn't support vax and the like, but it does support lots of
    > > > architectures that matter. In http://netbsd.org/Ports/#ports-by-cpu there's a
    > >
    > > Well, there *is* a 2.6.x based VAX port, though it needs some updates
    > > to incorporate the last few months of upstream development. But NetBSD
    > > still does better hardware support.
    >
    > a few years ago, I installed NetBSD 1.6 on my VLC4000. It hanged every now
    > and then (several times a month). I finally tried OpenBSD 3.1 and it never
    > hanged nor crashed since. It's been running 3.7 fine from its release till
    > now. I don't know if NetBSD's VAX support has stabilized now, but I thought
    > it might be of interest to you to be aware that at least another OS runs
    > fine on this hardware.

    Already knew that :) There isn't much traffic on the VAX related
    development lists (neither for *BSD not for Linux), but things are
    slowly progressing. These days, we try to work together (eg. we wrote
    a graphics driver or two together, after we disassembled the machine's
    ROMs.) So unfortunately the userbase is small, but we perfectly work
    together.

    MfG, JBG

    --
    Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de +49-172-7608481
    Signature of: The real problem with C++ for kernel modules is:

      Last update: 2007-01-31 23:07    [W:0.044 / U:0.852 seconds]