    SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!

    On Jan 31 2007 08:34, David Hollis wrote:
    >Conversely, I've seen many cases of drivers that are developed by the
    >community, but kept out-of-kernel forever due to various reasons. Some
    >of them are due to the code quality and the developers not accepting the
    >feedback to get the drivers into shape to be 'kernel worthy', sometimes
    >it seems to be a lack of interest from the developers to merge upstream.
    >Maybe because they think they would lose control or something?

    Putting the "codingstyle" control aside, often it's because things look
    too hackish. Take ipt_ROUTE as an example. It won't get included, since
    the "proper" way to do it would be using MARK and iproute2. But many users
    don't get that [no criticism here], because ipt_ROUTE is so much easier.
    (Probably because iproute2 and other netlink-using tools, like tc, lack
    thorough documentation.)

    Jan
    --
    ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/