    SubjectRe: [Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH 4/4] Add support to OProfile for profiling Cell BE SPUs -- update

    > I've given this some more thought, and I'm coming to the conclusion that
    > a pure array-based implementation for holding cached_info (getting rid
    > of the lists) would work well for the vast majority of cases in which
    > OProfile will be used. Yes, it is true that the mapping of an SPU
    > context to a phsyical spu-numbered array location cannot be guaranteed
    > to stay valid, and that's why I discard the cached_info at that array
    > location when the SPU task is switched out. Yes, it would be terribly
    > inefficient if the same SPU task gets switched back in later and we
    > would have to recreate the cached_info. However, I contend that
    > OProfile users are interested in profiling one application at a time.
    > They are not going to want to muddy the waters with multiple SPU apps
    > running at the same time. I can't think of any reason why someone would
    > conscisouly choose to do that.
    >
    > Any thoughts from the general community, especially OProfile users?

    Well, it's my understanding that quite a few typical usage scenario
    involve different tasks running on different SPUs passing each other
    data around.

    Ben.

      Last update: 2007-01-31 00:37    [W:0.019 / U:32.708 seconds]