SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
>  > Like Jeff said, many of these are quite old.
> OK, but why isn't your army of volunteers fixing them?

One of the problems if lack of hardware. It's very hard to fix a
prehistoric serial driver if you don't have an ISA bus box with the
needed slot let alone the card.

And why bother - its hardware that works on all the cases that matter

> Device Class", but nothing happens when I plug it into my Linux box.
> I assume the device class is specified as part of the USB spec...

UVC is "interesting", in a bad kind of interesting sort of way. See however