SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
Roland Dreier wrote:
> > > Well, we can disagree about the majority of drivers. My feeling is
> > > that most of the drivers that are really used by lots of people get
> > > support beyond just a dump of docs -- in fact often vendors are
> > > maintaining them, eg e1000, tg3, cciss, etc., to pick some running on
> > > the boxes I have around here.
> >
> > Check your history... tg3 was written by me and DaveM, and only after
> > years was it picked up by the vendor as their official Linux
> > driver. You have picked an excellent counter-example to your own
> > argument.
>
> OK, fair enough, I forgot about tg3. But on the other hand, you wrote
> it without docs, actually _in spite of_ Broadcom, right?
>
> Which I think makes my point that documentation is neither necessary
> nor sufficient for a good Linux driver. Documentation helps, but if
> no one competent cares about the device then the driver won't get
> written. On the other hand, if the device is important enough, the
> driver will get written without documentation or vendor support.

That's your point?? I thought your point was (quoting your words)

> it's a
> bit disingenous to suggest that all a company has to do to get a
> driver written and supported is throw some documentation over the
> wall. And it's crazy to suggest that the driver will work on every
> platform and be supported by enterprise distros.

To repeat -- that's how most Linux drivers have been written,
/particularly/ the ones used most by users of enterprise distros.

> > > OK, but why isn't your army of volunteers fixing them?
> >
> > Because nobody has hardware for them?
>
> Greg said hardware wasn't necessary...

I did not say "no developers [...]"

I said "nobody"

> > > And I seem to recall there's more SATA chipset documentation than Jeff
> > > Garzik has time to implement support for.
> >
> > I seriously doubt you can come up with even a single concrete example here.
>
> Sorry, I thought you said there was interesting stuff to do with the
> Promise documentation you got.

Mikael took care of it already. And its supported by enterprise distros.

> I guess Nvidia ADMA is pretty much
> done now.

Yep. Without docs, even. And its supported by enterprise distros.

> > What experience? AFAICS, pretty much all modern hardware in use
> > outside of ATI/NVIDIA graphics is supported by Linux.
>
> Sure, popular hardware support is pretty good. But there are still
> pretty serious gaps, for example Ralink wireless drivers are still not
> upstream even with the vendor trying to help (and I think Ralink
> wireless is a good example of how we can't really keep the promises
> Greg is making).

How so? They appear to be working with wireless devs to get their
driver into the tree.

> And there's plenty of stuff in-tree with lots of users that's in
> pretty dire shape, like ISDN (and the fact that we still
> CONFIG_ISDN_I4L). OK, it's not "modern" but Greg is also promising
> that we'll keep everything up-to-date with any upstream kernel
> changes, and there's obviously large chunks of the driver tree where
> that doesn't happen.

Yes, large chunks of legacy ISA drivers, m68k drivers, and similar
situations where the userbase has dwindled to a handful over a decade.

Jeff

  Last update: 2007-01-30 23:13    [W:0.145 / U:2.032 seconds]