SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
 > The vast majority of these were submitted ages ago.  Standards for
> acceptance and maintenance have risen since the days of ISA drivers
> and floppy tape drives.

What are our standards for maintenance? How can we tell in advance if
something is going to be maintained (cf. drivers/net/chelsio)?

I don't think you can seriously argue that just posting documentation
is going to guarantee that a device is going to get a high-quality
driver that runs on all architectures and that enterprise distros will
support. And I don't think it's a good strategy to try convince
vendors to open docs by using happy talk about an idealized fantasy world.

- R.

  Last update: 2007-01-30 20:05    [W:0.178 / U:27.692 seconds]