    SubjectRe: Bug: 2.6.15 Process accounting fails to account for small time slice loads (still)
    Hi Tim.

    That would be great if you could find that patch - I can worry about
    porting it to the current kernel. We're having an issue where our
    device, while routing large amounts of network traffic, reports 0% CPU
    utilisation when it cannot be the case, and I think this is the cause.

    Cheers,
    Tom Burns

    On 1/30/07, Tim Schmielau <tim@physik3.uni-rostock.de> wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Tom Burns wrote:
    >
    > > The bug described back in 2004 in the following message still seems to exist:

    > > Essentially, it appears that if a process sleeps before it uses up a
    > > complete jiffy then no charge is made to its process accounting table.
    >
    > That's not a bug, it's a feature. ;-)
    >
    > More seriously, it's a design decision. The benefit of exactly correct
    > micro bookkeeping does not seem to warrant the extra cost in terms of cpu
    > cycles spent in the accounting code.
    >
    > IIRC there was a patch for that some years ago, if you are interested I
    > will try to find it. No idea how much work it would be to port it to
    > current kernels, though.
    >
    > Tim

      Last update: 2007-01-30 19:59    [W:0.020 / U:66.168 seconds]