SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
On 1/30/07, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> Free Linux Driver Development!
>
> Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all companies
> free Linux driver development. No longer do you have to suffer through
> all of the different examples in the Linux Device Driver Kit, or pick
> through the thousands of example drivers in the Linux kernel source
> tree trying to determine which one is the closest to what you need to
> do.
>
> All that is needed is some kind of specification that describes how your
> device works, or the email address of an engineer that is willing to
> answer questions every once in a while. A few sample devices might be
> good to have so that debugging doesn't have to be done by email, but if
> necessary, that can be done.
>
> In return, you will receive a complete and working Linux driver that is
> added to the main Linux kernel source tree. The driver will be written
> by some of the members of the Linux kernel developer community (over
> 1500 strong and growing). This driver will then be automatically
> included in all Linux distributions, including the "enterprise" ones.
> It will be automatically kept up to date and working through all Linux
> kernel API changes. This driver will work with all[1] of the different
> CPU types supported by Linux, the largest number of CPU types supported
> by any operating system ever before in the history of computing.
>
> As for support, the driver will be supported through email by the
> original developers, when they can help out, and by the "enterprise"
> Linux distributors as part of their service agreements with their
> customers.
>
> If your company is worried about NDA issues surrounding your device's
> specifications, we have arranged a program with OSDL/TLF's Tech Board to
> provide the legal framework where a company can interact with a member
> of the kernel community in order to properly assure that all needed NDA
> requirements are fulfilled.

Sounds very nice indeed. Just happened to do a driver in a similar
status, where the vendor did not want to make the specs and other
stuff open, but was in a position to support an OSS driver for the
STB0899 demodulator driver from ST Microelectronics

I think many vendors will be ready to jump in.

the STB0899 demodulator driver is now available at

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~manu/stb0899-c5

It needs some fixes with regards to our DVB API. (bumping it up to 3.2
from 3.1) It's almost ready to rock now, with new delivery systems.

regards,
manu

  Last update: 2007-01-30 18:33    [W:0.274 / U:14.244 seconds]