SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit
On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 10:30 +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:34:21PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> > It might be worth putting together a list of do's and don'ts for the
> > CPU architects if we have a panel again this year (and its usually
> > a fairly popular session, so I'd be surprised if it got dropped).
> > something along the lines of
>
> Count my vote for dropping the cpu panels session. It's been far
> too marketing oriented, and all of the companies have far more interesting
> meetings of their own where thos caring about a particular architecture
> (and that includes much more than just the cpu!) can have usefull discussions.

Well, OK, but the next question is that is some form of panel of
outsiders still a useful feature?

Previous panels we've done have been:

* Device Drivers - Inputs from vendors trying to get code into the
kernel. I had feedback that this was reasonably useful; the
problem is that it tends to be composed of vendors already
making a big effort on the open source process and not the ones
(like graphics) who aren't.
* Customer Panel - inputs from various users deploying linux in
their enterprises. This did tend to degenerate quickly to a
list of requirements.

The one everyone seems to want is chipsets, so is this the one we want
to shoot for this year?

James

  Last update: 2007-01-30 17:51    [W:0.197 / U:0.224 seconds]