SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.20-rc6 - sky2 resume breakage

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> >
> > On one and only one platform. It works fine on others. Don't blame
> > the driver, stop it in PCI.
>
> How sure are you that it's only those Sony laptops?

i'm wondering, could we go with Thomas' temporary patch that disables
sky2 MSI if CONFIG_PM is enabled - we could revert that after 2.6.20.
It's not like MSI is a life and death feature. On IO-APIC systems
vectors are abundant and in any case we share irqs just fine. The true
advantage of MSI is minimal. (MSI-X has the potential to be better by
being message based, but in reality it still goes through the full IRQ
layer.) MSI might be useful on really, really large systems - but i
really hope those really large systems dont rely on CONFIG_PM. Meanwhile
Thomas' patch maximizes the amount of working hardware (it has the
chance to produce working systems in 100% of the cases) - which is a few
orders of magnitude more important than IRQ management micro-costs. Am i
missing anything?

Ingo

  Last update: 2007-01-30 07:59    [W:0.109 / U:0.944 seconds]