    SubjectRe: ata1: spurious interrupt (irq_stat 0x8 active_tag -84148995 sactive 0x0) r0xj0
    On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Tejun Heo wrote:
    > bbee wrote:
    >>> Yeap, I have major issues with SDB FISes which contains spurious
    >>> completions but most other spurious interrupts shouldn't be dangerous
    >>> and I haven't seen spurious completions for quite some time, so I was
    >>> thinking either removing the message or printing it only on SDB FIS
    >>> containing spurious completions.
    >>>
    >>> But, Andrew Lyon *is* reporting spurious completions. Now I just wanna
    >>> update those printks such that more info is reported only on spurious
    >>> SDB FISes.
    >>
    >> That would certainly help verify that I'm having the exact same problem,
    >> since Andrew didn't say anything about his drive going offline.
    >
    > Okay.

    Sorry, I thought you meant you would need to update it *further*. I applied
    the patch you gave to Andrew with this result so far:

    $ dmesg | grep -A1 "spurious interrupt"
    ata1: spurious interrupt (irq_stat 0x8 active_tag 0xfafbfcfd sactive 0x0)
    ata1: issue=0x0 SAct=0x0 SDB_FIS=004040a1:00000008
    --
    ata1: spurious interrupt (irq_stat 0x8 active_tag 0xfafbfcfd sactive 0x0)
    ata1: issue=0x0 SAct=0x0 SDB_FIS=004040a1:00000001

    No luck yet triggering the exception.

    On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Andrew Lyon wrote:
    > Alan said he was going to add the drive to a blacklist he was
    > maintaining for NCQ, perhaps that has been done in kernel 2.6.19, I
    > dont know as I am still running 2.6.18.
    >
    > Perhaps the WD Raptor drive that I have does have lousy NCQ and that
    > explains both the poor performance and the spurious interrupts.

    Blacklisting NCQ on the drive(s) for all controllers might be ill advised,
    since it could be a JMicron-specific issue (or ahci-specific, since the
    person in the thread I referenced had a different ahci controller..).
    Either that, or both our drive models have "lousy NCQ"..

    Thanks,

    bbee

      Last update: 2007-01-03 17:53    [W:0.042 / U:118.540 seconds]