Subjectudev/aacraid interaction - should aacraid set 'removable'?
(lkml readers: this concerns a security issue reported to debian by a
user of udev/aacraid. udev gives the aacraid devices the floppy group
because it reports block devices as 'removable'. See
http://bugs.debian.org/404927 for the entire thread).

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 11:49:51AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jan 03, dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Can you elaborate on what you believe the kernel is doing
> > incorrectly? My first guess would be the setting of the removable
> > flag, but aacraid claims to be setting this to prevent partition table
> > caching - do you believe that to be an incorrect usage?
> Yes, this looks like an abuse of the interface to me.

Ok, let's ask lkml

> > It seems like there is precedence for workarounds for older kernels in
> > permissions.rules, so would it be appropriate to add an override of
> > the default floppy rule for aacraid devices for compatability even if
> > this is a kernel bug?
> There are workarounds for bugs which are going to be fixed, but looks
> like this is going to stay forever...
> Are there other drivers in this situation?

I didn't turn up any otherwise when I was grepping yesterday, but my
search terms may have been too naive. I also checked a machine I had
w/ cciss - it did not have the removable flag set.

I found a message from Mark Salyzyn from last year that suggested this
was more pervasive:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0602.2/1231.html
Mark: Can you identify some of these other drivers?

--
dann frazier