SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit
Dave Jones wrote:
> > Then there is the issue of architectures, at least in my book KS should
> > focus on the ones that are really live and not in maintenance mode.
> > x86_64, x86_32, PPC, ia64, ARM seems to be the driving ones these days,
> > m68k, Sparc32, and others, somewhat less so .....
>
> Again, I don't recall us spending any time at all discussing m68k, or
> sparc, whilst the others you mention were well represented.

Hi Dave,

I'm not too bothered about the subjects, but rather the issue that we
keep seeing this strict "only this small group, which defines the most
important people in the community" thing. Thats where I think the
current model fails, even if someone has done a lot of work all over
Linux for years, doesn't mean said people are the ones driving things
this year.

Personally I think Andrew's suggestion is really good, turning it more
towards the traditional conference means people who have something they
want to say are more likely to push for things. If one doesn't have
something to say, then going to the KS is probably not the right thing.

> One of the problems with this approach is sometimes we don't know about
> subjects that become important to us all until the last minute, and
> others that seem important now will become moot by the time the summit comes around.

Thats true, and there should certainly be space for new subjects coming
in on short notice. However, I would suggest that at least a significant
portion of the summit applies this requirement. Most of the more
important issues are architectural and it's often not something that
shows up last minute.

> So far though, there's been nothing proposed at all, so feel free
> to throw your hat in the ring, if nothing else, it'll kickstart
> the process.

Actually I'm in the process of investigating launching a mini summit
cabal, which I think would cover most of my current issues :)

Cheers,
Jes

  Last update: 2007-01-30 05:55    [W:0.219 / U:0.092 seconds]