    SubjectRe: unfixed regression in 2.6.20-rc6 (since 2.6.19)
    Date
    > From: Rainer Weikusat
    > Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
    > Subject: Re: unfixed regression in 2.6.20-rc6 (since 2.6.19)
    > Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:34:56 +0100

    Hallo.

    > Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> writes:
    []
    >> Please work to see what is wrong with the existing patch. Is there
    >> anything that I can do to help you out?
    >
    > This thing has consumed something like sixteen hours of my life in
    > total, with a gain-to-be-expected of exactly zero (I don't need to run
    > 'current' kernels on my work machine, I have just grown into the habit
    > of doing so) and those sixteen hours cannot come back (and I even have
    > had these type of discussions around 'should it rather look like math
    > or rather like text' in sufficent quantities :->), so, except that I
    > would be very much obliged to you if a fix for this issue could go
    > into the 'official' tree rather sooner than later, no.

    It's hot here.

    I'm in similar situation (even *usb-serial* driver [TI USB] led me there;)

    In short, it turned, that usb drivers aren't drivers at all, they are
    just "USB interface drivers", i.e. managers of the particular USB
    interface *in* the device.

    Problem is: after changing ti-usb-serial's firmware, it is being reset
    and apears with new device ID. It's OK so far, but even this may be
    better (from USB hardware implementation point of view). Then this
    device, after being caught with new ID by the same "driver" requires
    seting USB configuration #2, in order to be usb-serial converter. Day was
    lost to make this happen _inside_ driver (kernel 2.6.18). It turned, that
    only way to do so is SYSFS, that set up by udev, and
    "usb_set_configuration()" function is being used for that.

    1. Why it's not called "sysfs_usb_set_configuration()"?

    2. Why

    [USB device view]: vID:dID -- bNumConfigurations -- bNumInterfaces

    is being only device IDs tables in usb drivers?

    3. Where's configuration and/or interfaces choosing? Yes, this may be not
    so wide used, but hey, it's design issue! There's a big cave in device
    setup and configuration chain!

    Look at 2.6.19 with "usb_driver_set_configuration()" to see it.

    And don't say, USB device requires userspace to setup (external
    firmware is another question). I can be young and stupid, and this is
    very wired only for my understanding. Simple NULL by default or set
    table of {num_usb_conf, num_interface} for "drivers" will be enough.

    > Apart from that, I make a (fairly miserable) living by adapting open
    > source code to be usable in specific situations (ie adding or
    > modifying features, fixing bugs, writing drivers etc)

    So and i. I wanted to adopt request_firmware() for TI USB serial, but
    i became very confused and upset.

    --
    -o--=O`C
    #oo'L O