    SubjectRe: unfixed regression in 2.6.20-rc6 (since 2.6.19)
    Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> writes:
    > On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 04:20:55PM +0100, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
    >> 2.6.19 introduced changes to the UHCI handling of interrupt URBs that
    >> caused at least some keyspan USB-to-serial converters to fail,

    [...]

    > I copied you when this patch was added to my tree,

    The only thing I received was a 'this patch has been dropped from
    the MM-tree because something happened' message.

    > as I had reworked it to be a bit more acceptable (no pointer
    > arithmatic, proper coding style, use the newer macros for endpoint
    > detection, etc.),

    You have basically done a couple of (functionally) totally pointless
    changes, like

    - not using iterator-style array traversals, but indexed ones
    instead

    - doing the calculation to determine the endpoint type in
    three different places instead of in one place, because the
    somewhat silly endpoint classification interfaces enforces
    this

    - not using a single switch-statement but an if-else-cascade,
    again due to limitations of that interface

    - replacing the while-loop with an identical for-loop

    The net effect of these changes is that an optimizing compiler will
    have to work somewhat more to remove all the redundant stuff that
    was added. As for 'proper coding style', the code conforms to what is
    documented as 'proper kernel coding style'. If this assumption of mine
    is incorrect, I'd be happy to hear about reasons why this would be so,
    to take them into account for eventual future patches.

    > I this patch does not work, please let me know, and I will be glad
    > to work to fix it.

    I think I'll just resend the working one in this case. But the logic
    appears to be identical, so I do not so a reason why it shouldn't.

      Last update: 2007-01-26 11:47    [W:0.023 / U:0.144 seconds]