SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:23:40AM -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@infradead.org>
> To: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:23:40 -0200
> Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit
> Cc: ksummit-2006-discuss@thunk.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>
> Em Qui, 2007-01-25 às 12:51 -0800, David Miller escreveu:
> > From: Dirk Hohndel <dirk.hohndel@intel.com>
> > Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:22:54 -0800
> >

> > It's too damn repetitive to go to the same location over and over.
> > Why do you think LCA tries to go to a different city every year and
> > even let "foreigners" run the show last year in New Zealand? :-)
> > Nobody want to go to the same place twice if they have to travel
> > at all.
> >
> > As an added bonus, we can hand off the conference organizing to
> > different folks in the local location each year. That will also add
> > some new life and excitement to kernel summit, have different people
> > chair, organize, and run the conference. If you use the same people,
> > just like using the same venue, the thing gets stale, and the kernel
> > summit is extremely stale at the moment.
> >
> > That's what I'm against, going to the same location over and over. It
> > makes the event more like a chore than something to look forward to
> > and enjoy.
> If the conference would be hold in Brazil, I may help having local
> support.
>
> The company I work hold last year an ETSI internal meeting about IMS in
> Brasília. It were a very interesting experience. The meeting were closed
> to ETSI members and some people invited. After the meeting, there were
> two days of an open event.
>
> It should be noticed that about 99.9% of the attendants came from
> Europe, with travelling costs covered by their companies. The Brazilian
> company organized the event and covered some local costs (like
> lunch/dinner/cocktail/event hostage).
>
> Probably, the major companies with worldwide presence will cover
> travelling costs, whatever place KS would be hold, since the local
> offices of those companies will have interests on holding the
> conference.
>
> Just my $2 cents.

And since the cost of travel keeps being raised - in the past my tickets
to Brazil (To Curitiba which from either Zuerich or Frankfurt had exactly
same price) were typically 10-20% less than a ticket to the US west coast
and well below the cost of getting to Ottawa. Cost for food, a bus or
similar is often virtually free comparing to Cambridge.

I see no problem in convincing my emplyer of traveling to any destination
in the world as long as the trip doesn't have the character of an
entertainment and the total cost is in relation to the importance of the
trip.

Ralf

  Last update: 2007-01-26 14:27    [W:0.241 / U:0.456 seconds]