Subjectsed _s_gnu_alternatives_ (Re: [rft] (g)awk substitution)
From
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 08:51:32PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 4:03 pm, Oleg Verych wrote:
>
> > Let me propose you to test this as solution, that need no awk, only shell:
>
> Actually awk is one of the standard Single Unix Specification (version 3)
> utilities and the kernel build uses it in a number of places, such as
> arch/alpha/boot/Makefile, drivers/eisa/Makefile, scripts/ver_linux.

I saw that. If you will test my first replacements and it will be ok,
i will go to this.

> Your objection is a bit like saying "and don't use cat". I'm saying don't
> call cat "gcat" when you just mean plain old cat.

No it's not, really. I don't want to see pipes, fork()s, disk seek,
when task can be done without it. I know, what awk is, and i hope it
will have its better time.

> > p.s. who is going to make alternative to GNU make ? ;D
>
> Me. Seriously. It's on my todo list, as part of the Firmware Linux project:

Well. I didn't expect such answer! So, after my trying to deal with
makefiles (there so many to cleanup and structure), i think it will be
easy to do so. I did contacted (ft)jam developers, but didn't get any
answer on current state of it vs GNU make.

> http://lwn.net/Articles/215941/
>
> Although as major projects go, it's about fifth down on the list after getting
> toybox up to speed, writing a proper bash replacement shell, getting tcc to
> build an unmodified Linux kernel, convincing the uClibc guys to HAVE ANOTHER
> RELEASE ALREADY (it's been a year and a half, I _sent_ a cake)...

Thanks for information.

> Today, I'm writing a gene2fs that produces streaming output (I.E. it works
> like tar). It's not done yet...

Good luck !

____

  Last update: 2007-01-25 11:43    [W:0.206 / U:0.080 seconds]