SubjectRe: 2.6.18-stable release plans?
--- Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> At the moment, you have a problem that nobody recognises. If you're not
> willing to test if the problem happens repeatably, (you appear to
> have had one failure and immediately reverted to an old kernel), who
> do you think will be able to fix it?

This bug seems to be in the kernel's "memory management", and the last memory-related bug I had
(caused by a bad DIMM on another machine) caused creeping filesystem corruption. However, this
machine is my main desktop, and so I am keen to keep the filesystems intact. So yes, that involves
not running a kernel that has shown itself to be unreliable.

I was hoping that someone with a deeper knowledge of the differences between 2.6.18 and 2.6.19
would have an idea of what might have triggered this problem, and yes, I was also thinking that
some more people would trip over it and help debug it.

But anyway - can someone please tell me what "Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1)" is
*really* saying/implying? Because I am currently translating this as "I WANT TO EAT YOUR
FILESYSTEMS".

Cheers,
Chris