SubjectRe: wake_up() takes long time to return
On 1/20/07, Arjan van de Ven <> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 15:54 +0530, kalash nainwal wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We've a kernel (n/w) module, which sits over ethernet. Whenever a pkt
> > is received (in softirq), after doing some minimal processing,
> > wake_up() is called to wake up another kernel thread which does rest
> > (bulk) of the processing.
> >
> > We notice that this wake_up() call is sometimes taking as long as 48
> > milli-seconds to return. This happens around 10 times out of 10M. We
> > earlier thought its possibly because of the contention on rq->lock,
> > but we see the same phenomenon even on a uniprocessor box. So obviosly
> > thats not the case.
> >
> > We can't figure out any other reason for wake_up() to take this much
> > time? As this call comes directly in our (receive) hotpath, we're very
> > concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Hi,
> unfortunately you didn't provide your driver code or a link to it, so
> people who want to help you would have to guess in the dark... could you
> Greetings,
> Arjan van de Ven
> --
> if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)
> Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via

Hi Arjan,

I won't pretend I'm working on an open-source driver. I personally
would be more than happy to share the driver code, but doing so would
probably cost me my job :)

and so...I won't expect anyone to help me with my code either.

Just wanted to know if wake_up is known to take this long to return?
(some known linux quirk may be?) If so then under what conditions? or
it _definitely_ would be my code only that's screwing up?

I'm using do_gettimeofday() before and after wake_up() to measure this time.

Thanks and regards,