SubjectRe: intel 82571EB gigabit fails to see link on 2.6.20-rc5 in-tree e1000 driver (regression)
On 1/16/07, Allen Parker <parker@isohunt.com> wrote:
> Allen Parker wrote:
> > I have a PCI-E pro/1000 MT Quad Port adapter, which works quite well
> > under 2.6.19.2 but fails to see link under 2.6.20-rc5. Earlier today I
> > reported this to e1000-devel@lists.sf.net, but thought I should get the
> > word out in case someone else is testing this kernel on this nic chipset.

Upon some further investigation with Allen, I got this info, and it
appears that his system is not freeing MSI irq's correctly.

from our discussion:
> Allen wrote:
>> Jesse Brandeburg wrote:
>> I believe you may have an interrupt delivery problem, due to kernel
>> changes. When you don't get interrupts delivered correctly, you may
>> not achieve link up.
>>
>> you can try disabling CONFIG_PCI_MSI in the kernel, as another
>> trouble shooting step. Also, what model motherboard/machine are you
>> using, and please check to make sure your BIOS is up to date.
>
> CONFIG_PCI_MSI seems to fix it as well, however, i'm not sure about
> possible performance implications with leaving it turned off.
>
> Tyan S2927G2NR w/ 2x Opteron 2210 bios rev 1.02 iirc

Also, here is an excerpt of his his proc/interrupts
Allen Parker wrote:
CPU0 CPU1 CPU2 CPU3
498: 1 8 129 8723 PCI-MSI-edge eth3
499: 0 42 122 17135 PCI-MSI-edge eth2
500: 0 19 275 1418326 PCI-MSI-edge eth1
501: 0 0 0 0 PCI-MSI-edge eth1
502: 0 414 26 25227 PCI-MSI-edge eth1
503: 0 37 264 1418695 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
504: 0 0 0 139 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
505: 0 6 714 22806 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
NMI: 275 207 225 262
LOC:3531851 3531829 3531805 3531778
ERR: 0

The disturbing bit is that on this Hypertransport to PCIe system, his
interrupts appear to be getting registered multiple times on different
IRQ numbers.

help?

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans