SubjectRe: Skeleton, Makefile extension - Separate source tree with only valid source files
On 1/15/07, Pelle Svensson <pelle2004@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did some hacks to the Makefile which might be of interest for those who
> feel like there are too many source files in the Linux tree. Running following
> make will create a separate directory including only the files which are
> active i.e. they are include in the final build configuration.
>
> source = /home/john/src/linux-2.6.20
> build_dir = /home/john/src/linux-2.6.20-build
> edit_dir = /home/john/src/linux-2.6.20-edit
>
> cd $(source)
> make O=$(build_dir) ACTIVE_SRC=$(edit_dir) active_srctree
>
> Links will be create in $(edit_dir) and what ever IDE that are in use for
> editing should target the $(edit_dir). The good thing is that grep will only
> hit valid files not 50 other files which are not in my interest.
>

> Due to lack of time this is not complete. Phrasing the dependency need to
> be added for all the include files.

[snip]

Another interesting thought might be to have kbuild run all of the
files through the pre-processor, then indent.
Then one could have a clearer view of the kernel object as actually
seen by the compiler.
Thanks, Pelle.
--Chris

  Last update: 2007-01-15 14:37    [W:0.026 / U:1.020 seconds]