SubjectRe: [patch-mm] Workaround for RAID breakage
On Mon, Jan 15 2007, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 09:08 +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > > Thomas saw something similar yesterday and he the partial results that
> > > git.block (between rc2-mm1 and rc4-mm1) breaks certain disk drivers or
> > > filesystems drivers. For me it worked fine, so it must be only on some
> > > combinations. The changes to ll_rw_block.c look quite extensive.
> >
> > Yes. Jens Axboe confirmed yesterday that the plug changes broke RAID.
> I tracked this down and found two problems:
> - The new plug/unplug code does not check for underruns. That allows the
> plug count (ioc->plugged) to become negative. This gets triggered from
> various places.
> AFAICS this is intentional to avoid checks all over the place, but the
> underflow check is missing. All we need to do is make sure, that in case
> of ioc->plugged == 0 we return early and bug, if there is either a queue
> plugged in or the plugged_list is not empty.
> Jens ?

It should not go negative, that would be a bug elsewhere. So it's
interesting if it does, we should definitely put a WARN_ON() check in
there for that.

> - The raid1 code has no bitmap set in remount r/w. So the
> pending_bio_list gets not processed for quite a time. The workaround is
> to kick mddev->thread, so the list is processed. Not sure about that.
> Neil ?

Super, thanks for that Thomas! I'll merge it in the plug branch.

Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2007-01-16 02:15    [W:0.057 / U:0.988 seconds]