SubjectRe: What does this scsi error mean ?
On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 06:45:40PM +0000, Alan wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:16:02 +0100
> Olivier Galibert <> wrote:
> > sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
> > sda: Current: sense key: Hardware Error
> > ASC=0x42 ASCQ=0x0
> I'll give you a clue: The words "Hardware Error".
> Run a SCSI verify pass on the drive with some drive utilities and see
> what happens. If you are lucky it'll just reallocate blocks and decide
> the drive is ok, if not well see what the smart data thinks.

Both smart and the internal blade diagnostics say "everything is a-ok
with the drive, there hasn't been any error ever except a bunch of
corrected ECC ones, and no more than with a similar drive in another
working blade". Hence my initial post. "Hardware error" is kinda
imprecise, so I was wondering whether it was unexpected controller
answer, detected transmission error, block write error, sector not
found... Is there a way to have more information?