    SubjectRe: SATA exceptions with 2.6.20-rc5
    On Sun, Jan 14 2007, Robert Hancock wrote:
    > Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > >>Looks like all of these errors are from a FLUSH CACHE command and the
    > >>drive is indicating that it is no longer busy, so presumably done.
    > >>That's not a DMA-mapped command, so it wouldn't go through the ADMA
    > >>machinery and I wouldn't have expected this to be handled any
    > >>differently from before. Curious..
    > >
    > >It's possible the flush-cache command takes longer than 30 seconds, if
    > >the cache is large, contents are discontiguous, etc. It's a
    > >pathological case, but possible.
    > >
    > >Or maybe flush-cache doesn't get a 30 second timeout, and it should...?
    > > (thinking out loud)
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > If the flush was still in progress I would expect Busy to still be set,
    > however..

    I'd be surprised if the device would not obey the 7 second timeout rule
    that seems to be set in stone and not allow more dirty in-drive cache
    than it could flush out in approximately that time.

    And BUSY should also be set for that case, as Robert indicates.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2007-01-15 04:19    [W:0.031 / U:3.732 seconds]