SubjectRe: heavy nfs[4]] causes fs badness Was: 2.6.20-rc4: known unfixed regressions (v2)
From
Jiri and Trond,

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 01:14:09AM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Florin Iucha wrote:
>
> > All the testing was done via a ssh into the workstation. The console
> > was left as booted into, with the gdm running. The remote nfs4
> > directory was mounted on "/mnt". After copying the 60+ GB and testing
> > that the keyboard was still functioning, I did not reboot but stayed in
> > the same kernel and pulled the latest git then started bisecting.
>
> Hi Florin,
>
> thanks a lot for the testing. Just to verify - what kernel is 'the same
> kernel' mentioned above? (just to isolate whether the problem is really
> somewhere between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20-rc2, as you stated in previous posts,
> or the situation has changed).

This happened with 2.6.19. It worked last time, but I wanted to test
again, to make sure. This time, it bombed, but half an hour after the
transfer finished.

> > After recompiling, I moved over to the workstation to reboot it, but the
> > keyboard was not functioning ;(
>
> So this time the hang occured when the system was idle, not during the
> transfers, right?

Yes it was idle. Immediately after the transfer finished, the keyboard was
still functioning. It "hang" minutes later, after the first bisected kernel
was compiled and installed.

> > I ran "lsusb" and it displayed all the devices. "dmesg" did not show
> > any oops, anything for that matter. I have unplugged the keyboard and
> > run "lsusb" again, but it hang. I ran "ls /mnt" and it hang as well.
> > Stracing "lsusb" showed it hang (entered the kernel) at opening the device
> > that used to be the keyboard. Stracing "ls /mnt" showed that it
> > hang at "stat(/mnt)". Both processes were in "D" state. "ls /root"
> > worked without problem, so it appears that crossing mountpoints causes
> > some hang in the kernel.
>
> Could you please do alt-sysrq-t (or "echo t > /proc/sysrq-trigger" via
> ssh, when your keyboard is dead) to see the calltraces of the processes
> which are stuck inside kernel?
>
> You will probably get a lot of output after the sysrq, so please either
> put it somewhere on the web if possible, or just extract the interesting
> processes out of it (mainly the ones which are stuck).

Will do.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

  Last update: 2007-01-15 03:25    [W:2.238 / U:0.004 seconds]