    SubjectRe: O_DIRECT question

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Roy Huang wrote:
    > On a embedded systerm, limiting page cache can relieve memory
    > fragmentation. There is a patch against 2.6.19, which limit every
    > opened file page cache and total pagecache. When the limit reach, it
    > will release the page cache overrun the limit.

    I do think that something like this is probably a good idea, even on
    non-embedded setups. We historically couldn't do this, because mapped
    pages were too damn hard to remove, but that's obviously not much of a
    problem any more.

    However, the page-cache limit should NOT be some compile-time constant. It
    should work the same way the "dirty page" limit works, and probably just
    default to "feel free to use 90% of memory for page cache".

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.019 / U:53.372 seconds]