SubjectRe: O_DIRECT question

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Aubrey wrote:

> Now, my question is, is there a existing way to mount a filesystem
> with O_DIRECT flag? so that I don't need to change anything in my
> system. If there is no option so far, What is the right way to achieve
> my purpose?

The right way to do it is to just not use O_DIRECT.

The whole notion of "direct IO" is totally braindamaged. Just say no.

This is your brain: O
This is your brain on O_DIRECT: .

Any questions?

I should have fought back harder. There really is no valid reason for EVER
using O_DIRECT. You need a buffer whatever IO you do, and it might as well
be the page cache. There are better ways to control the page cache than
play games and think that a page cache isn't necessary.

So don't use O_DIRECT. Use things like madvise() and posix_fadvise()
instead.

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans