SubjectRe: installing only the newly (re)built modules
Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> Well, fast -- it depends! :) My Crusoe tablet, Compaq TC1000, can
> use any break it gets... And generally, the beauty of a make system
> is not to do any extra moves. Since it already knows what to build,
> why not let it install just that?
The answer just came to me, because you may have deleted creation of a
module, and make doesn't know how to get it out of the directory. So the
modules file is rebuilt from zero, rather than put in a lot of logic
which might result in problems.

Think moving a driver from module to built in, what happens if you
modprobe the module? Or if you delete a module totally because some
other module does your hardware better. Think network and sound on that,
particularly. You do NOT want the old "works-badly" module around ready
to jump in when something you overlooked loads it.

Just a case of preventing problems all at once rather than trying to be
clever. I would think building a kernel on that hardware would take
longer than the useful life of the release. I used to build 1.2.13 on a
slow machine, and that took days.

In any case you have an answer, it's because being clever is hard.