    SubjectRe: Happy New Year (and v2.6.20-rc3 released)
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Jeff,
    > what was the resolution to this one? Just revert the offending commit, or
    > what?
    >
    > We're about five weeks into the 2.6.20-rc series. I was hoping for a
    > two-month release rather than the usual dragged-out three months, so I'd
    > like to get these regressions to be actively fixed. By forcible reverts if
    > that is what it takes.

    Data points:

    * I was unable to argue against Alan's logic behind
    368c73d4f689dae0807d0a2aa74c61fd2b9b075f but I just don't like it.
    Regardless of whether or not this truly reflects how the PCI device is
    wired, it makes pci_request_regions() and similar resource handling code
    behave differently.

    * Alan's 368c73d4f689dae0807d0a2aa74c61fd2b9b075f change was IMO
    incomplete, because he obviously did not fix all the breakage it caused

    * Alan proposed a libata fix patch. I noted two key breakages in his
    fix patch, one of which Alan agreed was a problem.

    * Outside of the two bugfix pushes, I've been actively avoiding
    computers during the holidays. It's a shocking concept I'm trying with
    the new wife :) Don't expect anything useful from me until Jan 4th or so.

    * This affects a lot of Intel ICH platforms in legacy/combined mode, so
    it's definitely high on my post-holiday priority list. If the patch is
    not reverted, then I'll definitely fix it sooner rather than later.

    * For 2.6.21, I proposed to yank out all the ugly combined mode hacks
    (grep for '____request_resource'), which should make Alan's change a bit
    easier... but nonetheless stirs the IDE quirks code again.

    * I am lazy and would rather not touch the fragile ata_pci_init_one()
    code now /and/ in 2.6.21.

    So I vote for revert, for 2.6.20, but I know Alan will squawk loudly.
    Also NOTE thoughfb0f2b40faff41f03acaa2ee6e6231fc96ca497c which fixes
    fallout from Alan's change, too.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2007-01-01 21:53    [W:0.022 / U:29.604 seconds]