    SubjectRe: Binary Drivers

    > >You're not alone, I think everybody who knows, how
    > >things in a
    > >computer work shares this view.
    > ---
    > Two of the specific arguments I've heard are (a) that
    > the board (and
    > its hardware interfaces that the documentation would
    > describe) involve
    > IP licensed from a third party, which the board
    > manufacturer does not
    > have a legal right to disclose, or (b) that there is, in
    > fact, no
    > suitable documentation, because the boards are developed
    > somewhat
    > fluidly and the driver is developed directly from
    > low-level knowledge
    > that simply isn't written down in a form suitable for
    > passing on.

    So just opensource the driver. It is usually easy to port it, and
    possible to clean it up.

    I have once ported cd-rom driver from DOS to linux (do you still
    remember cdroms not talking ATA?) -- in 2days or so, and the comments
    in driver were in korean.

    Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.

      Last update: 2007-01-01 17:33    [W:0.020 / U:4.268 seconds]