SubjectRe: fuse, get_user_pages, flush_anon_page, aliasing caches and all that again
> > > I'm willing to do that - and I guess this means we can probably do this
> > > instead of walking the list of VMAs for the shared mapping, thereby
> > > hitting both anonymous and shared mappings with the same code?
> >
> > But for the get_user_pages() case there's no point, is there? The VMA
> > and the virtual address is already available, so trying to find it
> > again through RMAP doesn't much make sense.
> >
> > Users of get_user_pages() don't care about any other mappings (maybe
> > ptrace does, I don't know) only about one single user mapping and one
> > kernel mapping.
> >
> > So using flush_dcache_page() there is an overkill, trying to teach it
> > about anonymous pages is not the real solution, flush_dcache_page()
> > was never meant to be used on anything but file mapped pages.
>
> It's not actually. For flush_anon_page() we currently have to flush the
> user mapping and the kernel mapping. For flush_dcache_page(), it's
> exactly the same - we have to flush the kernel mapping and the user
> mapping.

I was never advocating flush_anon_page(). I was suggesting a _new_
cache operation:

flush_kernel_user_page(page, vma, virt_addr)

which flushes the kernel mapping and the given user mapping. Just
like flush_dcache_page() but without needing to find the user
mapping(s).

However the cache flushing in kmap/kunmap idea might be cleaner and
better.

Miklos

  Last update: 2007-01-01 23:19    [W:0.170 / U:0.064 seconds]