SubjectRe: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.18-rc6
Hi Greg!

> No other new PCI driver API changes are pending that I am aware of. The
> PCI sort order change will affect some people's userspace ordering of
> network devices, restoring it to the proper 2.4 ordering. It was never
> intended that this be broken, and since no one has noticed this for the
> past 3 years, it was not broken in a severe way.

Changing the device order in the middle of the 2.6 cycle doesn't sound
like a sane idea to me. Many people have changed their systems' configuration
to adapt to the 2.6 ordering and this patch would break their setups.
I have seen many such examples in my vicinity.

I believe that not breaking existing 2.6 setups is much more important
than keeping compatibility with 2.4 kernels, especially when the problem
is discovered after more than 2 years after release of the first 2.6.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
How do I type 'for i in *.dvi ; do xdvi $i ; done' in a GUI?