SubjectRe: TG3 data corruption (TSO ?)
On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 08:25 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Ok. I'm trying to figure out what's the best way with fixing that. I can
> see the flamewar coming on wether stores to memory vs. writel shall be
> ordered or not :)
>
> I'm very reluctant to add another sync instruction to our writel though.
> It needs one already after the stores to prevent leaking out of
> spinlocks (and thus possible mmio vs. mmio order issues on SMP with
> stores from different CPUs being re-ordered). Fixing the above would
> require one before the store as well. We already pay a pretty high price
> for that sync, having 2 would be a real shame.
>
> (Unfortunately, there is no cheap barrier available for ordering
> cacheable vs. non cacheable storage on PowerPC, they are completely
> separate domains).
>
> One option I was discussing with others would be to drop that sync after
> the store, and instead start requiring drivers to use mmiowb() (as
> defined by the ia64 folks) to provide ordering of writel's vs. locks.
> But that probably means breaking and then having to fix a while bunch of
> drivers in the tree who haven't been updated to use it...
>
> I'd rather not have to do that, or even if I go that way, not have to
> add that sync at all before the store and thus get back the few percent
> of perfs lost due to those sync's on some heavy IO benchmarks.

Another way to fix this without requiring drivers to add all kinds of
barriers in the driver code is to add a writel_sync() variant. So on
powerpc, writel_sync() will have a sync before and after the write. On
most other architectures, writel_sync() is the same as writel() if the
ordering is guaranteed. We'll then convert tg3 and other drivers to use
writel_sync() in places where they're needed.

  Last update: 2006-09-09 00:45    [W:0.153 / U:0.060 seconds]