    SubjectRe: Suspend to ram with 2.6 kernels
    Pavel Machek wrote:
    > On Wed 06-09-06 19:35:50, Eric Sandall wrote:
    >> Hello LKML,
    >>
    >> I am having a problem with suspend-to-ram (have been for a while, but
    >> suspend-to-disk has been working fine for me, so I never really bothered
    >> to report it until now).
    >>
    >> Suspend-to-disk and resuming from it works fine (using `echo -n disk >
    >> /sys/power/state`).
    >>
    >> Suspend-to-ram works fine (using `echo -n mem > /sys/power/state`), but
    >> resuming does not. When I lift up the lid of my laptop (Dell Inspiron
    >> 5100) it seems to power back up (the power light changes from blinking
    >> to solid), but my screen stays blank and keys such as capslock do not
    >> toggle their LED.
    >
    > See suspend.sf.net, use provided s2ram program.

    Thanks! The key (mentioned in the documentation there) is to disable
    framebuffer (ATI video card). First time I've had suspend-to-RAM working
    on this machine. ;)

    Suspending works with `s2ram -f`, no other options needed, from X.

    # s2ram -i
    This machine can be identified by:
    sys_vendor = "Dell Computer Corporation"
    sys_product = "Inspiron 5100 "
    sys_version = ""
    bios_version = "A23"

    Though you may want to rename the /usr/sbin/suspend command to something
    other than 'suspend' as, at least for me, it is a shell command which
    puts the current shell in the background.

    The HOWTO *does* mention:
    [Warning: some shells have "suspend" built in command, so specifing
    exact path like ./suspend is more important than usual.]

    Though I still believe it'd be a good idea to pick a non-conflicting name.

    -sandalle

    eric@sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org/
    http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Shock Physics @ WSU