SubjectRe: [2.6.18-rc6] ext3 memory leak
On Thursday 07 September 2006 07:10, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>this looks like a serious problem to be fixed before 2.6.18 final and
>backported to 2.6.17.*. Or a case of me misunderstanding something, in
>which case, please, let me know.
>
>I've reported before in thread "[2.6.17.4] slabinfo.buffer_head
> increases" a memory leak in ext3. Today I verified it is still present
> in 2.6.18-rc6.
>
>A short description: as long as write accesses are made on an ext3
>filesystem /proc/slabinfo buffer_head increases unboundedly. This
>behaviour is not observed with another journalling filesystems (e.g.,
>reiserfs), or if ext3 is mounted as ext2.

What would you call the 'get excited' level? Here, with about 12 hours of
uptime (I had an unlogged machine shutdown while I was offsite yesterday),
I'm showing

buffer_head 67158 67158 48 78 1 : tunables 120 60
0 : slabdata 861 861 0

There are other entries that are larger here. However I do note that its
growing on a per cycle basis as fetchmail is doing its thing every 90
seconds. Now its
buffer_head 67672 67704 48 78 1 : tunables 120 60
0 : slabdata 868 868 0

So perhaps thats why it did the shutdown? With absolutely zip in the logs?

Although, my firewall box was also reset/rebooted about the same time as
this ones powerdown according to an uptime report on it just now, so my
ups must not be doing its thing correctly.