SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] re-add -ffreestanding
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 01:38:01AM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Roman,

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > We are talking about reverting the patch that removed -ffreestanding,
> > and that broke at least two architectures although it wrongly claimed
> > it would have been a safe patch.
>
> Your patch is nevertheless the wrong fix for one of these archs.

it's correct, since with -ffreestanding gcc no longer has the right to
assume it had a full libc available.

Yes, -ffreestanding disables gcc builtins, but the correct fix for this
issue is not to remove -ffreestanding, but to check where we want to use
gcc builtins and enable them explicitely.

This takes more time than the quick'n'dirty patch that removed
-ffreestanding, but it does it right (and we might perhaps get rid of
things like include/asm-i386/string.h).

> bye, Roman

cu
Adrian