    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] re-add -ffreestanding
    On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 01:38:01AM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
    > Hi,

    Hi Roman,

    > On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    >
    > > We are talking about reverting the patch that removed -ffreestanding,
    > > and that broke at least two architectures although it wrongly claimed
    > > it would have been a safe patch.
    >
    > Your patch is nevertheless the wrong fix for one of these archs.

    it's correct, since with -ffreestanding gcc no longer has the right to
    assume it had a full libc available.

    Yes, -ffreestanding disables gcc builtins, but the correct fix for this
    issue is not to remove -ffreestanding, but to check where we want to use
    gcc builtins and enable them explicitely.

    This takes more time than the quick'n'dirty patch that removed
    -ffreestanding, but it does it right (and we might perhaps get rid of
    things like include/asm-i386/string.h).

    > bye, Roman

    cu
    Adrian