    SubjectRe: BUG-lockdep and freeze (was: Arrr! Linux 2.6.18)

    * Andi Kleen <> wrote:

    > > Why not just add the simple validation?
    > >
    > > A kernel stack is one page in size. If you move to another page, you
    > > terminate. It's that simple.
    > No, it's not. On x86-64 it can be three or more stacks nested in
    > complicated ways (process stack, interrupt stack, exception stack) The
    > exception stack can happen multiple times.

    it could be cleanly handled though: in June i suggested to use the
    next-stack pointers at the end of exception pages. The only current
    complexity here is that the 'linking' of exception pages is non-uniform,
    it depends on the type of page. That's largely why that complex
    statemachine had to be implemented, to match up the type of the page.
    Since those pointers are put there by us, there's no real reason why we
    couldnt standardize them.

      Last update: 2006-10-01 00:21    [W:0.022 / U:24.044 seconds]