    SubjectRe: [patch 00/23]
    On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 01:35 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Could we please have a full description of these features? All we have at
    > present is "high resolution timers" and "dynticks", which is ludicrously
    > terse. Please also describe the design and implementation. This is basic
    > stuff for a run-of-the-mill patch, let alone a feature like this one.
    >
    > I don't believe I can adequately review this work without that information.
    > I can try, but obviously such a review will not be as beneficial - it can
    > only cover trivial matters.
    >
    > With all the work which has gone into this, and with the impact which it
    > will have upon us all it is totally disproportionate that no more than a
    > few minutes were spent telling the rest of us what it does and how it
    > does it.
    >
    > We've had a lot of problems with timekeeping in recent years, and they have
    > been hard and slow to solve. Hence I'd like to set the bar very high on
    > the maintainability and understandability of this work. And what I see
    > here doesn't look really great from that POV.

    Fair enough. Point taken. We're working on it and on the comments you
    gave. Thanks for taking the time to go through it nevertheless.

    The OLS proceedings
    http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/linuxsymposium_procv1.pdf

    and the slides of my talk
    http://tglx.de/projects/hrtimers/ols2006-hrtimers.pdf

    might also shed some light on the design.

    tglx

      Last update: 2006-09-30 21:21    [W:0.023 / U:0.396 seconds]