    SubjectRe: GPLv3 Position Statement
    From
    Linus,

    > Quite frankly, if the FSF ever relicenses any of their projects to be
    > "GPLv3 or later", I will hope that everybody immediately forks, and
    > creates a GPLv2-only copy (and yes, you have to do it immediately, or
    > you're screwed forever). That way the people involved can all vote with
    > their feet.

    I do hope your either joking about this, or that you would consult
    with the major contributors to the project before doing this. In past
    postings you have expressed strong support for "authors rights", which
    includes the idea of not using someones code if they don't want you to
    use it, even if it might be legal to do so.

    I'm also a strong proponent of "authors rights", and I would consider
    it very nasty if someone took one of my projects and decided to fork
    it to be GPLv2 only, deliberately going against my intention. They
    might have a legal right to do so but it would clearly be against my
    wishes. I'm not even 100% certain it would be legal.

    The "any later version" words I have put on all my projects are there
    quite deliberately.

    Cheers, Tridge

      Last update: 2006-09-29 09:53    [W:3.960 / U:0.296 seconds]