    SubjectRe: GPLv3 Position Statement
    > As far as the you must be able to run modifications language goes:  too
    > many embedded devices nowadays embed linux. To demand a channel for
    > modification is dictating to manufacturers how they build things. Take
    > the case of an intelligent SCSI PCI card which happens to run embedded
    > linux in flash.

    So just clarify GPL v3 so any GPLv3 distributor gives the same level of
    access to the people he distributes his GPLed software do (ie if the code
    is on a flasheable device, open the flash process ; if it's drm-protected
    : give
    the DRM key)

    It's not as if most (all?) widespread linux-embedded devices are not
    flashable nowadays. Factory recall everytime you need to fix a
    security/feature bug just costs too much

    (as far as I know every single Tivo-like thing *is* updateable remotely)

    Nicolas Mailhot

      Last update: 2006-09-27 11:47    [W:0.021 / U:7.956 seconds]