    SubjectRe: GPLv3 Position Statement
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> writes:

    > But the whole point was to just show how silly the whole "upgradable" vs
    > "not upgradable" discussion is. We're literally talking about something
    > where apparently it matters to the GPLv3 whether a pin on a chip is
    > connected to software or hardware (or not at all). Is that sane?

    I admit I haven't read the last GPLv3 draft, but for me the "freedom"
    (=> benefit) is not the ability to alter software in some specific
    existing device, but rather to take the software, perhaps modify it
    and use in _my_ hardware device.

    I can't use a modified kernel with their TIVO platform? No problem,
    Chinese can make a better one, or maybe some mini ITX board from
    VIA would do.

    Though I think "upgrading" engine settings of my car could be nice,
    never had time to look at it :-)
    --
    Krzysztof Halasa