    SubjectRe: sonypc with Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1VP
    From
    >> > Will sony_acpi ever make it to the mainline? Its very useful for new
    >> Vaio
    >> > models.
    >
    > Nope, not as it is. Useful != supportable.
    >
    > 1. It must not create any files under /proc/acpi
    > This is creating a machine-specific API, which
    > is exactly what we don't want Nobody can maintain
    > 50 machine specific APIs.
    >
    > These objects must appear generic and under sysfs
    > as if acpi were not involved in providing them.
    >
    > 2. its source code shall not live in drivers/acpi
    > it is not part of the ACPI implementation after all --
    > it is a platform specific driver.

    In this case, would a patch ripping off asus_acpi, ibm_acpi and
    toshiba_acpi from the kernel be accepted ?

    I don't really care much about sony_acpi (since I'm not maintaining it
    anymore, even if I still answer support requests about it), but this is
    just silly. This has been going on for more than one and a half year now.

    Meanwhile (at least from what I've seen), the ACPI subsystem still doesn't
    provide this "generic" API which platform specific driver need to
    implement. drivers/acpi/{hotkey.c,video.c} are just rudimentary, and there
    is no indication that this is going forward:

    In March 2005 you (Len) said:

    > The goal is to DELETE ibm, toshiba, and asus drivers -- or at least the
    > duplicated functions in them.
    >
    > platform specific drivers make it harder, not easier, to support more
    > hardware -- there are a zillion vendors out there, implementing special
    > drivers for each of them is a strategy of last resort.

    and

    > I'd like to keep this driver out-of-tree
    > until we prove that we can't enhance the
    > generic code to handle this hardware
    > without the addition of a new driver.

    How long is this going to take ?

    Stelian.

      Last update: 2006-09-27 13:55    [W:0.089 / U:58.688 seconds]