    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.16.30-pre1
    Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > But having:
    > - two saa7134 cards in your computer and
    > - one of them formerly not supported and
    > - depending on one of them being the first one
    > is a case you can theoretically construct, but then there's the point
    > that this is highly unlikely,

    Yes, this is an unlikely scenario.

    > and OTOH the value of the added support is more realistic.

    But then I think people don't really expect additional hardware support
    from a stable kernel series.

    > If I was as extremely regarding regressions as you describe regarding
    > hardware updates, I would also have to reject any bugfixes that are not
    > security fixes since they might cause regressions.
    >
    > I do know that the only value of the 2.6.16 tree lies in a lack of
    > regressions and act accordingly, but I'm trying to do this in a
    > pragmatic way.

    If there was more manpower, driver updates could be maintained as extra
    patchkits separately to the kernel. I know that some people would like
    to have exactly this: A minimally updated base plus a choice of specific
    driver updates as add-ons.

    In fact that's what I do with the IEEE 1394 drivers --- although not
    primarily to support this kind of user base but rather to make it easier
    to get bugfixes tested by bug reporters. However I can only afford to do
    this by an all-or-nothing approach: I put almost _all_ driver changes
    into these patchkits. That means full risk of regressions but also
    complete feature updates and minimal divergence from mainline. This was
    trivial to do so far.
    --
    Stefan Richter